Sunday, January 07, 2007

Yours...Mine....Ours

My thought for the day is a simple one. These particular words seem to hold a lot of confusion and difficulty in them. Convenience is another word occasionally associated with these three words.

I am not much of a believer in convenience because that often leads us down the incorrect path when we are making decisions on how to handle a situation. Most likely it will not be the high road.

Yours, mine and ours have another issue with them. For example, if we have chose to bring another person into the "ours" it should be seen as a very meaningful action. Another common misunderstanding is the possession associated with those words. It seems to me, that if we have chose to bring someone into the "ours" aspect of our life that "we" will travel with it. The use of word "we" does not indicate possession to me either with the correct intention. We have chose to partner with someone in life for whatever length it is meant to last. I think in midst of all the chaos of world and human relationships, that it is important to have conviction and stand by those who care the most about who we are. It is an acknowledgement of what another person means to us when we use the words "mine, we" etc. Respect for other person is tied into use of them for me. Our individualism/identity always remains intact when someone truly loves us for who we are because they are genuinely interested in good things happening for person they care for.

This is why I have chosen not to blindly buy into the massive idea of individualism that has taken over our society. It has created a selfish society and we are all paying for it at moments in our lives. It prevents us from staying committed to each other and leaves me with sad feeling when I think about the damage it has done to people's lives.

This is why language is so damn important to me. Not that my use of it is always eloquent, but it is all very meaningful.

Feel the need to call it quits for now. Much ahead of me to accomplish next week.

2 comments:

airplanejayne said...

your writing made me take a mental memory trip:
Voldemort's philosophy on Yours-Mine-Ours was as follows:

What's Ours, is ours. What's yours, is mine. And what's mine, is MINE!!!!

--see why he was Voldemort!?!?!?

:)

RACHEL said...

Love your take on that one APJ!